Public Education & Safety Programs
Odessa Fire Rescue (OFR) is dedicated to protecting the community through public education. OFR provides several programs for preschool aged children through senior citizens. Some of these programs include:
- Fire Prevention Week: Fire Prevention Week is the first week of October, and fire personnel present programs to kindergarten, 1st and 2nd graders in public and private school, in addition to several early education centers
- Fire Station Tours: the public is welcome to tour any of our 9 fire stations
- Fire Safety House: fire personnel utilize the Fire Safety House to educate 3rd grade students about home fire safety and emergency escape plans; the Fire Safety House is scheduled for public and private schools
- Demonstration House: this exciting education tool is a 3 foot by 3 foot model home used to demonstrate home hazards and emergency plans; the house is equipped with smoke to demonstrate hazards and appropriate safety steps
Safety Demonstration Programs
Safety Demonstration programs include:
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) demonstrations
- Emergency Management
- Evacuation Drills and Preparation
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fire Safety
To schedule programs or tours, contact Fire Marshal Omar Galindo by calling 432-257-0520 or by email.
Smoke Detector Program
Working smoke detectors save lives! Odessa Fire Rescue has a smoke detector program to assist homeowners of Odessa and Ector County who do not have a working smoke detector. A member of the Fire Rescue Department will install a working smoke detector, at no charge to the owner. Contact Odessa Fire Rescue for additional information.
- Maintain working smoke detectors; change the battery at least once per year and keep detectors clear of dust.
- Note: the State of Texas requires the owner or agent of rental property to install a working smoke detector.